Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 4 of my Christmas baking: Triple chocolate fudge and Vanilla Pecan Caramels II

Years ago when my son Matt was in eighth grade he had an english teacher that he had when he was in second grade that he absolutely adored and I did and still do. Her name is Mrs. Hall. I think she may be retired now. She was a great teacher. Her best quality as a teacher, in my opinion, was that you could tell that she really enjoyed her job. Still to this day I see her where I work at and she still asks me, "How is Matt?" 
Anyway, she brought into school for her students homemade caramels.  My son saved me one to try because he thought they were the best things on this planet and he was right they are! I asked her for the recipe and she was kind enough to give it to me. Let me tell you, I have made this recipe at least 50 times since then.  There are quite a few people in Jefferson that I have made this sweet addiction for.  Once you have made and eaten one these caramels you will never go back to store bought ones. I have even bought other homemade caramels and they don't even compare to this one.

Mrs. Hall's Caramels
2 cups white corn syrup
2 cups sugar
2 cups sweetened condensed milk (1 1/2 cans)
1 cup butter
pinch of salt
3/4 cup of chopped nuts
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1) Boil corn syrup, sugar and salt to 245-250 degrees with candy thermometer
    over medium heat.
2) Add sweetened condensed milk and butter slowly as boiling must not stop. 
    Stir until temperature reaches 236-241 degrees.
3) Once you reach this temperature take it off the heat and add 1teaspoon of vanilla and chopped nuts if desired.
4) Pour into a well buttered 9x13 pan. Let cool off to room temperature and then chill in the fridge for about an hour.
This recipe take about 20-30 minutes to make and about 2 hours of cooling time. I cut this into 48 very large pieces. Wrap with cut squares of waxed paper.
It is well worth the time and effort that is put into this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment