Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 2 of my Christmas baking: Mrs. Bell's Cookies

Across the street from my house is the sweetest lady you'd ever meet. Her name is Fran and she is 94 years old! You would never in a million years guess her to be that age. She still drives, she keeps the cleanest house I have ever seen, and she and her 80 something year old sister go everywhere together. She has been a mother and homemaker her entire life. She has never worked a day outside of her home. I admire and respect that about her. In my opinion, motherhood is the most important job on this planet. What would this world be like without mothers like her.
Anyway, she is a wonderful cook. The more I get to know her (and sample some of her delicious baked goods) the more I realize that I can learn a lot from her. Last Christmas she made these out of this world little pastry cookies that I have never seen of or tasted before. I couldn't get enough of them! To describe them I would say that they are little flaky bites, with a date and nut filling, with a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. I could of seriously ate a dozen of them at one sitting!
I asked Fran for the recipe and she so graciously gave it to me. As far as how old is this recipe, I'm going to have to ask her. And where did it come from, I don't know, I will ask her that too. So, today I am excited about attempting to make these for the first time.
This is exactly how Fran wrote down the recipe for me:

Mrs. Bell's Cookies

1 lb. oleo
5 cups flour
5 tablespoons sugar
Mix like dough for pie

Add:

1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg yolks
8 tablespoons sour cream

Make filling:

1 lb. dates chopped
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup nuts
1 1/2 cups milk
Cook 4 mins. and cool


Bake at 350 degrees - 20 minutes
Roll into powdered sugar

In a few hours I will be posting, what I hope to be, pictures of just as  delicious of a cookie that Fran made.

No comments:

Post a Comment